Explore Discover Play
The Ox Mountain Adventure camp is a family run business located in the heart of Ox Mountains surrounded by stunning views of the hills and valley which date back over 900 million years in time. The rich supply of wildlife, wild flowers, forest and blanket bog vistas ensures your group get a true feeling of being "in the wild".
Our site is approximately 6 miles from Tubbercurry and fully secure behind our gates, on site we have camp fire facility's as well as toilets, washroom, kitchen and changing areas.
• Our Explore/Discovery/Play program is aimed at national school ages.
• We start at our sites adjacent intact Mass Rock where students can see first-hand how people practiced the Roman Catholic religion in darker periods of Ireland's past.
• Next we move through a forest trail to explore the wildlife and trees of the woodlands and see what forest dwellers your group can discover. Stop off at our bush craft shelter where students can learn about its construction using only the woodland resource's around us and have a quick relax on our "bush bed".
• From the woodland we move into our base camp site where the group can use the site facilities and prepare for our guided hike. We set off to a hill top peek knowing locally as 'The Robbers Den' to sample the all-round views of the valley while the group will hear and learn about blanket bog life and visit boulder size rocks to learn about mountain building and the effects of the ice age.
Weather permitting, we enjoy our hill top picnic at the Robbers Den. Students are asked to bring normal school lunch.
• On return to base camp students will be split up into different groups to sample our traditional games on the camping grounds. Should the weather not be in our favour we run this section of the day in our Bunk ‘n’ Barn building.
• We conclude the day by lighting our sites camp fire which the group can sit by on our camp fire style log seating and enjoy some complimentary marshmallow's to roast and share the day’s stories. (Weather permitting)
• We are a fully registered and insured outdoor provider and all common child protection protocols are followed throughout.
• Price €15.00 per child